Sunday, June 16, 2013

Vegan BBQ - Pulled Pork

My dad LOVES and I mean LOVES BBQ. I remember one of his favorites being pulled pork, smoked for hours until it falls apart. He loves the roadside stands with a smoker and a scent that will make you stop. Well dad and all other fellow BBQ lovers I have you covered with a satisfying vegan alternative!

The best part is Babe, Wilbur and little Miss Piggy are all spared! This pulled "pork" is made not form a pig but from JACKFRUIT! Say what? That's right, Jackfruit! It doesn't look like much at first, but have faith; it cooks into the most mouth watering meal. It's almost too good to be true

Jackfruit is a very large fruit mainly grown in tropical climates. 

It's loaded with potassium, vitamin C, fiber, dietary fiber and fats and so much more. So how will you get some? Go to a local Asian market and buy a can. I recommend a can for less processing.  


I found some at a local Vietnamese market yesterday for $1.19 a can. I ended up checking out the store and got 4 bags of food for under $25 dollars, very awesome! I'll be back! Take your Jackfruit home and get ready to be amazed.



Open the can, drain and rinse very well. I even soaked in water for a little bit to ensure to get rid of as much vinegar taste as possible. Once done cut the center piece, kind of like you would a pineapple!

 
Take the jackfruit and cover in dry rub. I mixed the spices together in a small bowl and then sprinkled to cover the jackfruit. Cook for about 5 minutes or so until it becomes tender.
 Add your favorite BBQ sauce and let it simmer for 30-60 minutes.


It will start to evolve into something that looks very much like pulled pork! I was so excited I called my dad! I wouldn't tell him what I was making lol but ended up chatting on the phone while it cooked nice and slow. 
 

I got really side tracked on the phone, forgot I wanted to make a "Bun" and totally burnt the heck out of them! That is how cooking goes, sometimes it turns out and sometimes it doesn't. I already mucked up the recipe anyways so this was just icing on the cake.


Thankfully our main event was not spoiled - the pulled pork! After a wonderful conversation with my dad, replacing the burnt scent with one of fragrant BBQ, I was ready to finish this bad boy.



Place the "pork" a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes to gain a more meat like texture.


After about 15 minutes it will look something like this!


I will no longer feel left out! :) I can have pulled "pork" too!

Serve on your favorite bun! In this case I served with a fresh red bell pepper and avocado! Delicious!!! No extra seasoning or sauce required!

Heck yah it's Vegan!


Want to make some? Here is how!

Prep Time: 15 minutes   Cook Time: 45-75 minutes   Total Time:  60 - 90 minutes  Servings: 4 large sandwiches
 

Ingredients:
  • 2 cans jackfruit in brine, drained and rinsed well with solid center pieces removed. 
  • 1 red onion, minced
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • Hamburger buns - or fresh veggies! (I used: 1 bell / 1 avocado)
Dry Rub:
  • 1/2 tsp + spicy red pepper flakes (I like it spicy - I used about 1 tsp)
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • dash of salt
  • dash of garlic powder 
Sauce:
  • Favorite BBQ Sauce
  • Dash of Maple Syrup
 Directions:
  1. Mix together dry rub ingredients and toss over pre-rinsed and drained jackfruit. Place in medium pot over medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes, until it starts to become tender.
  2. Pour sauce over jackfruit and simmer.
  3. Meanwhile, sauté the onion and garlic until caramelized. Add to jackfruit mixture and continue to simmer for 30-60 minutes.
  4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a cooking sheet with parchment paper and spray with a nonstick spray. 
  5. Place simmered "pork" onto prepared cooking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes. It will help create a more firm and chewy texture. 
  6. Load up your favorite bun or serve with fresh veggies and dig in!

 
I am so thankful for good food and to be able to share it with all of you! Enjoy!

Artistic Vegan


Go to the CIS Facebook Group




No comments:

Post a Comment