Friday, June 7, 2013

GF Vegan Hamentaschen (Cookies!)

What do you get when a cookie and a pie cross paths? Hamentaschen! It's a pocket-filled cookie traditionally enjoyed with an orange poppy seed filling on the Jewish holiday of Purim. 

Holiday's aside, it looked and sounded delicious so I thought I'd try to create a modified version using a homemade gluten free flour mix. Ever since I have been dying to post this recipe! This is a NEW and total keeper in my recipe book. I had to put them in the freezer because I can't keep my hands off them. :)

The best part is, you can mix it up and have a wondrous time creating the most satisfying delicious dessert. It makes a very large portion so they would be great for parties! I can't wait to make our next batch. No sugar, no preservatives, all homemade from scratch! 
 
 Roll out the dough and use a glass to make round circles
 Place round cookies on prepared cookie sheet, add filling and pinch sides to form a triangle
(I need parchment paper, but I always suggest using what you have on hand)
  Bake for 14-15 minutes, until edges are golden brown
 Enjoy each and every bite!
Try variations!
 

Ingredients:
  • 3 "eggs" (Flax w/warm water)
  • 1/2 cup stevia
  • 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
  • 3/4 cup oil (I used sunflower - any vegetable oil will work)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup quinoa flour
  • 1 cup brown rice flour
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • 2 tsp cornstarch
  • 1 tsp xanthum gum
  • 1-2 tsp vanilla 
  • Filling: Any pie filling, jam, jelly, nutella, chocolate chips etc!
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Mix "eggs", stevia, brown rice syrup, oil and vanilla in large bowl.
  3. Add flour and baking powder until dough forms, ensuring not to over mix.
  4. Roll out the dough on a floured surface. 
  5. Use a drinking glass as a cookie cutter to make 30+ cookies!
  6. Place round cookies on prepared baking sheet
  7. Fill each with a good sized dollop of filling and pinch the 3 ends to make a triangle shape.
  8. Bake for 14-15 minutes until edges are slightly browned. 
 
Try not to eat all at once - they are that good!!!


Don't forget to like me on Facebook!

Buy my book today! ON SALE!!!

Check out my website!

No comments:

Post a Comment