Friday, July 27, 2012

Fresh Fig Bars

 I can honestly say I had never tried fresh figs until I made this dessert. I'm so silly and didn't think to buy dried figs for fig newtons so instead I made a fresh fig bar! It turned out absolutely delicious. Jerry went wild for them! I made them Wednesday and they're already gone! I can't wait to get some more fresh and dried figs to try other variations. Enjoy. ;)
  

Filling:

  • 1 package fresh black figs
  • 2 fresh squeezed lemons - small or 1 normal 
  • 1/4 cup cranberries
  • Dash of water
  • 2 tbsp agave

Crust / Topping:

  • 1 cup oats
  • 1 cup ground oats
  • sea salt - 1/4 tsp or a few grinds
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/8 cup + oil
  • 2 scoops soy vanilla protein powder
  • 1/8 cup agave
  • 1/8 cup coconut nectar

Directions:

  1. Preheat to 375
  2. Grease a 8" pie dish or whatever you have handy. :) 
  3. Combine ingredients for filling in blender until it forms a thick consistency. 
  4. Grind oats in food processor, combine other ingredients. Mix well. 
  5. Place 1/2-3/4 of the crust mixture on greased pan and press out with hands until the dish is covered.
  6. Pour the topping mixture (I used a spatula) over the crust. 
  7. Take the rest of the oat mixture and crumble on top. Pour a dash of agave on top. 
  8. Bake 30 min.
  9. Let it cool completely (if possible), cut into squares and dive in! Serve with coconut ice cream for a sensational experience!